Recent news & updates
Here are just a few of the things the Koch Brothers and their Tea Party Rubes are trying to get the Supreme Court to take away from Americans, by striking down the Affordable Care Act:
Already in effect:
It allows the Food and Drug Administration to approve more generic drugs (making for more competition in the market to drive down prices)
It increases the rebates on drugs people get through Medicare (so drugs cost less)
It establishes a non-profit group, that the government doesn’t directly control, to study different kinds of treatments to see what works better and is the best use of money.
It makes chain restaurants like McDonalds display how many calories are in all of their foods, so people can have an easier time making choices to eat healthy.
It makes a “high-risk pool” for people with pre-existing conditions. Basically, this is a way to slowly ease into getting rid of “pre-existing conditions” altogether. For now, people who already have health issues that would be considered “pre-existing conditions” can still get insurance, but at different rates than people without them.
It renews some old policies, and calls for the appointment of various positions.
It creates a new 10% tax on indoor tanning booths.
It says that health insurance companies can no longer tell customers that they won’t get any more coverage because they have hit a “lifetime limit”. Basically, if someone has paid for life insurance, that company can’t tell that person that he’s used that insurance too much throughout his life so they won’t cover him any more. They can’t do this for lifetime spending, and they’re limited in how much they can do this for yearly spending.
Kids can continue to be covered by their parents’ health insurance until they’re 26.
No more “pre-existing conditions” for kids under the age of 19.
Insurers have less ability to change the amount customers have to pay for their plans.
People in a “Medicare Gap” get a rebate to make up for the extra money they would otherwise have to spend.
Insurers can’t just drop customers once they get sick.
Insurers have to tell customers what they’re spending money on. (Instead of just “administrative fee”, they have to be more specific).
Insurers need to have an appeals process for when they turn down a claim, so customers have some manner of recourse other than a lawsuit when they’re turned down.
New ways to stop fraud are created.
Medicare extends to smaller hospitals.
Medicare patients with chronic illnesses must be monitored more thoroughly.
Reduces the costs for some companies that handle benefits for the elderly.
A new website is made to give people insurance and health information.
A credit program is made that will make it easier for business to invest in new ways to treat illness.
A limit is placed on just how much of a percentage of the money an insurer makes can be profit, to make sure they’re not price-gouging customers.
A limit is placed on what type of insurance accounts can be used to pay for over-the-counter drugs without a prescription. Basically, your insurer isn’t paying for the Aspirin you bought for that hangover.
Employers need to list the benefits they provided to employees on their tax forms.
- dancinginbarefeet likes this
- catherinepunkcollins likes this
- petrichorinspace reblogged this from kneelbeforemistressphil
- readfearless likes this
- kneelbeforemistressphil reblogged this from wilwheaton
- activistbunny likes this
- aitogi likes this
- pain-in-the-asguardian reblogged this from drakochan
- masamoan likes this
- pawniard reblogged this from drakochan
- drakochan reblogged this from wilwheaton
- black-tapestry likes this
- enamoratrix reblogged this from wilwheaton
- teaandcrumpetz likes this
- lieutenant-starbuck-thrace reblogged this from wilwheaton
- risenshinetomorrow reblogged this from seserakh
- risenshinetomorrow likes this
- zybthranger reblogged this from wilwheaton
- cryptomancy likes this
- bachin221b reblogged this from wilwheaton
- ultimatesearch reblogged this from suckmesleezi
- chocolatecolumbo likes this
- cyberneticrobin likes this
- allthellamas reblogged this from wilwheaton
- gwydionmisha reblogged this from wilwheaton
- youmustmakeyourheartstill reblogged this from wilwheaton
- benjaminsapiens reblogged this from wilwheaton
- cutandpastealert reblogged this from wilwheaton
- hpbooklover4ever reblogged this from wilwheaton
- antithestasia reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- dogsnameisfrank reblogged this from lectorel
- rangerose reblogged this from lectorel and added:
- rionsjunkmail reblogged this from jynxtsilevon
- rion-alexander likes this
- kissfistthat likes this
- insert-something-awesome-here reblogged this from wilwheaton
- ashalee reblogged this from ionsquare
- the-starving-artless reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- kosmosxipo reblogged this from wilwheaton
- manofaspen likes this
- thighhighdalish likes this
- hoomie likes this
- someliberalopinions reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- mrfrodothefluffy reblogged this from wilwheaton
- bellaknoti reblogged this from wilwheaton
- mrfrodothefluffy likes this
- 30mychemnarglesfalloutatthedisco reblogged this from theheroheart
- thedoctorboy reblogged this from wrench-wench
- why-not-reblog-256 likes this
- deaf-songbird reblogged this from wilwheaton